Facsimile copies of Anderson’s prints have been reproduced by:
The Geographical Magazine
In November 1945 the Geographical Magazine published an article about Woodmanship by H.J. Massingham. The article included reproductions of 8 Anderson prints relating to wood. These prints were also issued as a limited edition set the 8 prints. They were advertised within the magazine as:
“Two hundred sets only of our reproductions of Mr Anderson’s engravings specially printed and suitable for framing, are available at one guinea per set, including purchase tax and postage. Applications should be addressed, with remittance, to The Geographical Magazine Ltd, 40 -42 William IV Street, London, W.C.2. They will be dealt with in order of receipt; fifty sets will be reserved for overseas applicants and not more than two sets will be supplied to any one applicant”
The set of prints included:
Tree-fellers 167 x 141mm
Trimming and faggoting 169 x 138mm
Willow-lopping 169 x 129mm
Hurdle-makers 175 x 139mm
The Hedger 174 x 140mm
The Basket-maker 158 x 159mm
The Thatcher 158 x 139mm
The Chair maker 192 x 141mm
All have a facsimile copy of Anderson’s signature.
Internet buyers of Anderson’s prints need to be aware of these copies which are occasionally described as “original engravings” on some internet sites. Check the size of the print you wish to buy, these facsimile copies are all smaller than the original engravings and do not include the quotation at the bottom of some of the engravings.
Scenes from the Past, published by the Libraries Department, London Borough of Southwark.
The George Inn 1919
The Libraries department of London Borough of Southwark produced 3 series of "Scenes from the Past". These were folios containing reproductions of Pictures within the Borough. In Series 2, the first (number 1) was a facsimile copy of Anderson's etching The George Inn 1919.
An accompanying sheet provided the following information:
The George Inn.
Etching by Stanley Anderson. 1919
From the Middle Ages until the 19th century Borough High Street, the route to Old London Bridge, was noted for its many famous inns which refreshed the traveller on his way to or from the City. Today the George alone survives, the only remaining galleried inn in the London area.
Originally the St. George, the inn is marked on a plan of 1542. It was among those listed by Stow in his Survey of London, published in 1598. The present building dates from 1676 when the inn was rebuilt, apparently in its old style, after a fire which destroyed much of Southwark. Like other inns of the period, it was built around three sides of a courtyard but today only the south wing survives.
In the heyday of coaching, the 18th and early 19th centuries, the Borough inns were the starting points for many regular coach and carrier services. From the George there were coaches four times a day to Maidstone, Rochester, Chatham and Gravesend and daily to Brighton, Worthing etc.
The coming of railways and the end of the coaching days meant that the Borough inns largely lost their propose and were demolished. The large stable yard at the rear of the George was incorporated into the premises of Guy’s Hospital. The North and East wings of the inn were demolished in 1889 when the building was acquired by the railway. Fortunately in 1937 the south wing was presented to the National Trust. The external appearance of this wing has changed little over the centuries and the panelled interior retains its traditional character. On Saturday afternoons during the summer, Shakespeare plays are presented at the George as they were in the innyards of Elizabethan times.
The above information is reproduced from the information sheet published by the Libraries Department, London Borough of Southwark 1974